Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A young girl, waiting to know...


A conversation Shannon and I had in the car a few days ago:

"Mom, how much money does daddy make?"
And I'm thinking, why do you need to know??...none of your business!...are 3rd graders comparing income levels already??...yes, we drive a crappy car, but we're trying to live beneath our means...gees, Melissa could you be any more preoccupied with the crappiness of your car...

"Oh, I'm sorry, what was your question again?"
"How much money does daddy make?"
"Enough."
"Enough. That's all the answer I get? You're not gonna give me a number?"
"No, because that's all you need to know right now. He makes enough."
"So, it's something I have to wait to know?"
"Yup, you can know when your older."
I've found that I'm answering a lot of her questions like this lately. I guess I want to defer her knowledge of the adult world for a little while longer. For example, she spotted a tampon feminine hygiene item in my purse yesterday.
"Mom. what's this?"
I just gave her that look, and she says, "something I have to wait to know, right?"
"Right."

Shannon has now started a notebook entitled, "Things I have to wait to know till I'm older." It's gonna be a long book.

3 comments:

Rachel Olimb said...

I love the idea of a book! I'm going to have Asher start one for "things I need to ask Daddy when he gets home." I think you handled this beautifully. Seriously, it makes you wonder what they do talk about at school.

Krista said...

I would love to get a look at Shannon's book! That is hilarious! You'll have to save that to show her when she is grown up.

Noelle said...

I can't believe that she started a book...that's too funny!!