Monday, May 12, 2008

Musings on Mother's Day -2008


So, Mother's Day was yesterday...

Not big on manufactured holidays created simply for the purpose of selling greeting cards. Ok, ok that's not true, (I think it has roots in ancient Greek culture, wikipedia gives some history) but it sounds extra cynical...sometimes that's my default reaction to things. Hmm, am I a bit jaded?? Perhaps.

Mothering is challenging. It's joyful and exciting yet, at the same time all-consuming, exhausting, frustrating, tedious, gross, etc.... I pray often that the Lord would renew my energy and enthusiasm for my role as a mom.

I think that instead of just calling it Mother's Day, we should call it Mother's Day--Off. This day all mother's should lock themselves in their rooms, or in a spa, or at the top of a mountain where no one knows where they are. Just for a day, to refocus and center and pray for strength and wisdom to carry on in the trenches of motherhood...maybe that's the kind of day I need. : )

It's so cute...Ben keeps giving me papers he finds around the house today. "He go mommy, Hapty Mudders Day." Shannon showered me with all the things she had made at school for the occasion a card and coupons for little jobs she can do around the house.

Ben is such a ball of energy, he wears me out sometimes. But I pray that God will take his energy and charisma and use it for wonderful things for His Kingdom.

Shannon is fast growing into a young girl. Hard to believe she'll be turning 9 this year, or that I've been a mom for 9 years (maybe that's why I'm so tired. : ) She is bright, energetic, and passionate about pretty much everything. She is growing in her understanding of God and is eager to learn more and more.

I think it would be a good thing for me to think everyday on all the blessings God has given me and the amazing, stunning, awesomely humbling fact that I do not deserve any of it. "But God being rich in mercy" has granted me His forgiveness and grace in this life and eternal joy in the next.


2 comments:

Rachel Olimb said...

You should make your reservation today at a spa for next year's Mother's Day Off! Love that new title!

By the way, the new chair you put up is WAY cool!

Melissa said...

I totally need a spa day! The chair is one of my most favorite...it's a classic! It's $245 at Design Within Reach so that's why I don't have one. : )