Monday, July 14, 2008

Canyon Lake Extravaganza!

Our Family had an awesome day on the lake this weekend!

Our friend Brian celebrated his 30th birthday on the lake. We loaded up the kids and the car and made the trek up, (or is it down) to Canyon Lake. I have never been there before, but it is my new favorite place in AZ! I am just amazed at how beautiful it is.



This is Brian's boat. Of course, I forgot to bring my camera during our ride! It was so fun! Shannon, Ben, and I sat up front and had a pretty bumpy ride. Ben kept shouting Giddy up! Ride 'em cowboy! Brian even let him steer the boat a little too.

Brian likes to drive fast. My back is killing me today. I love to ride up front though. It brings back great memories of summers riding out to the barrier islands on the Gulf in my friend's boat. Life lesson #563: Always have a friend that owns a boat.



Shannon's head was all we really saw of her all day.




Here is a scripted reenactment of one of my favorite moments of the day:
A small vignette to demonstrate when parental guilt and laziness converge to form the perfect example of mediocre parenting. And the astute, yet misplaced, observations of a preschooler.

Scene: A blissful day at the lake. Mommy and Ben are about 10 yards into water splashing and playing together.

B: Mommy, I have to go to the bathroom
Mommy: Ben, I just went to the bathroom! I asked if you needed to go, and you said you didn’t need to go.
B: But I have to go now
Me: (exasperated sigh) Ben
B: Sorry mommy
Mommy: (rather impatiently) Well...I guess...oh, well...you’ll just have to go in the lake.
B: (looks up at mom quizzically) Huh?
M: Yeah, you can just go right here in the lake.
B: Huh? ( A glimpse into Ben’s brain: Ok, this is totally weird , this goes against everything you’ve worked so hard to establish in my little psyche...tinkle goes in the potty, tinkle goes in the potty...what you’re saying makes no sense to me!)
Mommy: Yeah, you just...relax your muscles and you go in the lake
B: (still wrestling with the gravity of the suggestion) ....it won’t come out, mommy!
Mommy: Just keep trying, it’ll come out.
B: But mom...my pants are gonna get all wet.
Mommy smiles at his observation and Ben looks up, feeling relieved at last.

Exit Scene

*Author’s note: It is well documented that peeing in a pool or other public swimming hole is really gross. The author is well aware of that fact and would never admit to having any personal experience in the matter.

4 comments:

Noelle said...

And THAT is one of the many reasons I am not a fan of being in pools, lakes, well, public water in general. Ha! :-) That is SO funny that you had to convince him to go in there!! Going against everything he's been taught! Great story! Glad you guys had a great time!

Erin said...

That is why we have chlorine. God has a reason for everything!

Krista said...

Thanks for the laugh. . . and the reminder of why lukewarm lake water grosses me out!

Natalie said...

Hilarious!! Thanks for sharing in such a creative way!