Monday, April 28, 2008

Best Laid Plans...

I was invited to speak this past Saturday at a friend's church. They were holding a seminar for author Susan Miller. She founded an organization called Just Moved in order to help those who have relocated to a new place to adjust to new surroundings and connect with other Christians. The author spoke at the main session and then they had 3 break out sessions. I was leading one of the break out sessions and speaking on decorating...always a passionate topic of mine!

I spent hours developing a Power point with a lot of great images, ideas, and hopefully inspirations for new valley residents. But, instead of doing that, this is how I spent my Saturday morning:

Ben and his barf bucket

Yup, the stomach flu decided to visit our home this past weekend. Ben came and got in bed with me around 3:00am. JT was out of town so there was a little more room than usual. Ben kept tossing and turning and squirming so I made a little bed for him on the floor next to me. That was perfect timing, because not two minutes later, he threw up all over the place....we made it to the bathroom and he got sick there too...before we got to the toilet.

"I okay now, mommy," he says. I put him in the tub and took to the glamorous task of cleaning everything up...eeww. Here's my questions: why is it always 3:00am when stuff like this happens? Why does yucky stuff always happen when the hubby is out of town? Why didn't this happen last Saturday when I had nothing to do?

I had to cancel with the organizer of the event at the last minute. I felt so bad both for backing out of something that I had committed to and missing out on a great opportunity to share with others what I love and maybe to drum up some business. It's been kinda slow lately.

But those are the casualties of motherhood...very frustrating, but "many are the plans in a [woman's] heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails." (Pr. 19:21)

2 comments:

Rachel Olimb said...

Oh, that's such a bummer, Melissa. But, I'm sure Ben loved having his Mommy home with him. Poor guy looks so sick. Hope he's doing better!

Noelle said...

That verse came of such comfort to me this morning. Thank you for that. I wrote it down and put it up in my office...good to remember that the Lord is in control despite what's going on around us and what we try to "make" happen.