Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Latest Accessory


I will be adorned in the latest in IV drip fashion for the next 3 days. So cute, huh?! : )

I had my first of 3 IV solu-medrol steroids today...yup, got all juiced up this morning!

I had to do this four years ago, and it was a vastly different experience this time. Last time, I had the treatment at Banner Baywood where all the snowbirds go. I was terrified and depressed. I went into a small room with other, mostly older, frail people getting chemo and other meds. I was just crying and upset. I did not want to be there at all! My veins are so teeny. She had to poke me about 5 times before she got the needle to go into the vein...that's about average for most of my needle poking experience. And the drip was in my wrist, so I pretty much lost the use of that hand for 3 days

This time, I went to Banner Gateway. It's the brand new hospital on Higley and the 60. Super nice, and very modern...always a plus. They have a really nice outpatient IV center. I got a great cushy, reclining chair, and the nurse got the needle in the first time!!...And get this, I got my own flat screen TV! Just for me! I got to watch a whole hour and a half of HGTV! I mourn for my loss of that channel..so sad. I watched Designed to Sell and Design on a Dime and Curb appeal. I got my roids and my HGTV fix all in one day!

Seriously though, I feel such a peace this time around. The sermon that Pastor Tom preached this Sunday has really ministered to me. I'm casting all my cares on the Lord, and He is truly blessing me with a great peace with this experience. It is actually a wonderful thing to be able to contrast this experience with the last time. I was clearly holding on to my worries and harboring resentment and bitterness. Whatever God's plan is in this, I know He's working for His glory and my sanctification...kinda scary and exciting at the same time...


Look what Ben just showed me: "I'm just like Mommy!"
Shannon got home from school and wanted to get in on the latest IV fashion trend



As a Post Script: The last time this happened Shannon was four and pretty much oblivious. She tends to be a little bit of a nervous Nellie when it comes to Dr.s and blood and stuff...so her wanting to look at the actual IV tube in my arm (after a little time of mild hysterics...Lord, help her, she's inherited my flare for the dramatic!) was a big step for her. She saw it and now she's fine. : ) She is starting to ask questions now, and I'm trying to be as honest with her as I can. I pray that I'll say the right things to help her understand.

3 comments:

Rachel Olimb said...

The timing of Tom's sermon on Sunday was definitely from the Lord. I was greatly encouraged and challenged by his words as well. What a blessing it is for you to see how much your faith in God has grown in a couple of years. We're praying for you, Melissa!

Krista said...

Melissa,
How wonderful to see how God is at work through all of this! He is so good!

Noelle said...

Ok...so I had NO idea that you were blogging all this!!! I clicked on the link when you posted on mine...I'm so excited that you're blogging so much! I will definitely be visiting often!

I'm so sorry to hear the last couple weeks have been some rough ones. We'll definitely be praying. You have amazing perspective though...you're an incredible woman that in the midst of it, you're going back to Scripture and recognizing God's promises and love! It's an encouragement to those reading.